Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Okland

Monday evening Keleman Eva (names are written and said "backwards" here) brought me to her home here in Okland, sister church of my church in Oakland. Rev. Levente, Eva, and their 3 kids have had busy schedules and yet welcomed me warmly.

They really appreciated the letters and updates from folks at the First Unitarian Church of Oakland . I haven't been involved in our partner church relations before, and its really neat to see how lively these partnerships are here and in other congregations.

For those of you who donated money to the youth fund, the overambitious Peace Corps volunteer didn't actually get it started in Okland (oh, why do we "Americans" have to be so full of grand ideas that we know best???). Instead, the money will be used to do repair the floor of the community house across the street from the parish house.

This afternoon, I purchased embroideries to bring back to sell at church--I hope you all like the ones I've chosen! I don't much like being the buyer who must choose which ones to get, but I'm glad that we can help with this little bit of economic development here.

Also this afternoon, I attended one of Eva's English classes and learned the favorite sports, animals, and colors of a gaggle of 11 and 12 year olds. Then I attended a funeral of an elderly woman who died on Saturday. It began at her house, then a brass band (with a dreadfully out of tune bass/tuba) led a procession to the church where there was a service much like a Sunday service, except the pulpit and tables were covered in black and the family sat around the casket. We then all processed to the cemetery while singing or listening to the band. Cemeteries here are on hills - whether its to be closer to God or because its unfarmable land depends on your point of view! The beautifully carved casket was lowered into the ground, Levente said a prayer and read a couple Bible verses, then several men shoveled the dirt back into the 8 foot deep hole until it was full again. Another brief word, and we processed back down the hill for a piece of bread and shot of palinka (homemade plum/peach liquor), and it was done. I appreciate getting to experience a funeral here, but it was also strange to be part of a ritual for someone with whom I have no connection.

Foal!


Last night I met the very pregnant horse here at the parsonage. Today, I met her foal, born without assistance last night. The foal has legs nearly 3 feet tall and is walking, if tentatively, already! He looks out of proportion with his tall muscular legs and skinny little body. I can't quite believe he's not even one day old!

Project Harvest Hope/Pro Homorod


I've had the house to myself this evening (hence the long blog posts!) while Levente and Eva are at a Project Harvest Hope meeting in Kelezstur. Harvest Hope began partly in our church in Oakland, and I'm still learning about it! It is one of several economic and civil development programs in post-communist Szekelyland. You can read more here.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cathy,
    What a wonderful description of Transylvania you are sharing with us!
    do you happen to know the name of the woman who died in the village??

    ReplyDelete