Monday, April 26, 2010

Travelling by the Numbers

Numbers obviously can't begin to tell the story of my time here, but I had fun compiling this list:
  • Hours on Trains, Planes, and Automobiles: over 100
  • Chocolate eaten: 1 lb American, 1/2 kg European (so far)
  • Beds slept in: 11 (so far)
  • Pulpits I've tried out: 13+ (Unitarian ones, that is)
  • Balazs scholars met with: 8 (I think)
  • Ministers met: approx 30
  • Women ministers met: 4
  • Students met: approx 100 (including middle school, high school, and seminary)
  • Americans met: 4 (2 Peace Corps, 2 Unitarians also visiting)
  • Out queers met: 0
  • Interviews given: 2
  • Hours spent washing clothes in the sink: 12+
  • Shots of palinka (home-made brandy): approx 25-30
  • Plastic water bottles used: more than I'd like (20?)
  • Contacts added to my Romanian cell phone: 16
  • Gods found: up to one


  • Viszontlatasra - Goodbye for now


    I leave Transylvania tomorrow for Taize, an ecumenical (inter-Christian)chanting, peace-promoting, youth-focused monastic community. Then I'll have a few days in Barcelona before I come home. I doubt that I'll be blogging, but check back and see!

    I'll sign off with this song that I've come to like here (don't read into the title though). It's a poem by the famous Hungarian poet Jozsef Attila called
    "Tudod, hogy nincs bocsánat,
    or "You say there's no forgiveness." Thanks to Gyero Attila, a student here, for sending me the link and to Nagy Endre (Balazs 08-09) for introducing me to the song.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment